16. Command Line Crash Course
March 03, 2020
View and RSVP on Meetup
Software Engineer @ Green Mountain Technology
The command line is perhaps the most ubiquitous and efficient interface between humans and computers. The terminals and shells through which we interact with the command line are among the most important tools used by software developers and technical professionals. Understanding how to configure your terminal to work more effectively is an invaluable skill.
This talk is for everyone from complete beginners to pros.
Here’s what we’ll cover:
- What is a terminal?
- What’s the difference between a terminal and a shell?
- Some command line fundamentals and basic commands
- Installing a different terminal
- Configuring your terminal and shell
- Creating aliases for common commands
- Searching command history
- Saving configuration in dotfiles
- Hosting your dotfiles so you can share them and take them wherever you go